Wednesday 28 December 2016

David Keck and Ken Scholes deliver their long-delayed novels

2006 saw many debut fantasy novelists begin their careers, most famously Joe Abercrombie, Daniel Abraham and Scott Lynch. Slightly less well-known is David Keck, whose first fantasy novel, In the Eye of Heaven, was published to moderately good reviews.


He followed that up with In a Time of Treason in 2008, but his third novel has been MIA since then. The good news is that the book, A King in Cobwebs, has been completed, delivered to Tor and returned for edits (now completed). The book is making its way through Tor's publishing machinery and should be out, hopefully, in 2017 or 2018.



The fates of other long-awaited fantasy novels is less clear. Patrick Rothfuss is still working on The Doors of Stone (curiously, since an apparently-completed manuscript was circulating with beta readers over two years ago), George R.R. Martin is still working on The Winds of Winter and J.V. Jones remains completely MIA. However, Ken Scholes has delivered Hymn, the long-awaited final novel in The Psalms of Isaak, and that will be released in December 2017.

4 comments:

Bob/Sally said...

I'll be honest, I've distanced myself so far from the story at this point, The Winds of Winter is pretty much a non-event, although I am still holding out hope for The Doors of Stone, and keeping my fingers crossed for J.V. Jones.

John said...

Is there any word on a release date for The Thorn of Emberlain or is that still in limbo?

The Writer said...

Last I heard, The Thorn of Emberlain is probably coming out sometime next year, barring unforeseen life complications. Lynch thought it would be out by Q4 2016, but then he moved and that just ate up all his time for a while. But I think he and his publisher aren't officially giving a date until they're absolutely certain so as not to get everyone's hopes up.

Gabriele Campbell said...

For me it's the other way round. I'm still anticipating Winds of Winter, but every time I scan my shelves to cull some books I won't reread in order to get space for new stuff, the books by J.V. Jones catch my attention and I wonder if I should keep an unfinished series when I can't even be sure the author is still alive. Martin at least does work on Winds.